To charge our Casita travel trailer, Cocoon, we added a power connection to Campbell, our Toyota Land Cruiser. We also added a power distribution center in the cargo area to run additional gear.
The external 50-amp connectors, front and rear, can power our portable air compressor for inflating the tires after unpaved-travel.
A 60-amp circuit breaker for the auxiliary loads is connected to the auxiliary battery and is positioned on the passenger side near the engine bay’s rear. A cable runs forward to the external connector and aft to the cargo bay’s distribution center.
The power distribution center in the cargo area has a fuse block for adding equipment and a monitor to measure the auxiliary-battery conditions. It shows the battery voltage, current, and power. It also tracks the total energy used.
The rear 50-amp connector takes power from the main power line feeding the distribution center. Its power consumption is included in the battery monitor’s statistics.
The connector is in the rear of the cargo area. A weatherproof pigtail from the connector is fed out the tailgate’s bottom gap to connect the Casita.
- The wiring is 6-gauge throughout.
- All terminals and splices are crimped and soldered.
- All connections are sealed with adhesive heat-shrink.
The affiliate-free links below list the parts, wiring, and some tools you may need.
The gallery below has pictures of the installation. They should answer many questions, including wire routing and component placement.
Do you have comments about an article? I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas. Are there any problems or annoyances that you face adventuring?
Please leave a comment below.
- 60 Amp Circuit Breaker
- Blue Sea Systems ST Blade ATO/ATC Fuse Blocks
- DC Power Meter, DROK 6.5-100V 100A
- TEMCo WC0082-10 ft 6-AWG BLACK
- TEMCo WC0168-30 ft 6-AWG RED
- TEMCO 10-Pack Cable Ends 6-AWG 3/8″ hole ( only 1 needed)
- TEMCO 10-Pack Cable Ends 6-AWG 1/4″ hole
- SB50 Environmental Boot with Cover, Source Side
- 2 x SB50 SB Series 50 Amp Anderson Powerpole Kit (6–AWG, grey)
- Dual Wall Adhesive Heat Shrink Tubing Kit
- Rosin Core Solder